Be part of NGV’s flagship 18 month learning programme
For trainees and graduates of gestalt therapy alike, sharing our selves and our learning process can be daunting. We want to encourage ways of fostering community and links amongst gestalt trainees and with the wider community of practitioners.
This programme is an online experiment in a mix of structured learning, personal process and group development. Our focus is on “Gestalt in the World” – the contribution of gestaltists as ‘citizen practitioners’ (Parlett) in response to challenges to our ecology and in relation to social justice.
The programme runs Sept 2020 – March 2021
- Meet as a whole group 10 times for 1 day over 18 months. (50 direct learning hours)
- Invite in a mix of presenters – gestalt and non-gestalt; individuals who are contributing to challenges around social justice/ecology.
- Support participants to initiate their own projects, report back and receive challenge and support
- Encourage smaller ‘process’ groups to meet monthly.
- Explore gestalt theory, particularly as it relates to what Paul Goodman called ‘socio-therapy’
We intend to create an environment in which beginners and those with vast gestalt experience can learn together. The NGV approach esteems development at the group/community level (hence this is not a ‘personal’ development group). Having said this, our personal experience shapes the collective, which in turn forms our individual experience.
We will use Gestalt theory as an orienting tool, and in turn we regard this programme as key to NGV’s aspirations to refine and develop a gestalt theory fit for the challenges of our times through living it together, and by including that which may not be directly present – the planet’s fauna and flora for example – as well as that which is present but so obvious that it is overlooked, which is the case with privilege.
We particularly invite those who live on the edges – or outside – of groups or of community, as having something unique to offer that we can grow by. We will turn our attention to the wider structures of power, influence and oppression that form the background against which much therapy and social change work is conducted.
We will build relationships and foster a “chosen” support community that will ‘over- time’ allow different choices to emerge for us as individuals, whilst engaged with issues experienced at community and planetary levels. (Max 24 places, 6 reserved for free places/non-gestaltists)!
Cost $550 US [can be paid over 18 months – and 6 subsidised/free places available]
Amongst other things this is a supported place to:
- Explore challenges around being part of a group (and of a gestalt community)
- Share our narratives, life stories & the recurring patterns that we are working through and that specifically form an obstacle for our being with others.
- We will be meeting online from our homes, so we welcome contribution from partners, children and those who are precious in our lives
- Use gestalt theory as an orienting tool & in turn refine gestalt theory via our experience
- Invite in and learn from others with different life experience and theoretical orientations
- Offer up what we don’t understand
- Build safety for those parts of ourselves that do not easily fit
- Make a place for difficult self-process like narcissism, shame, jealousy and marginal experience including GSRD, religion, ethnicity, class and race.